RÖK has last month opened a new restaurant in Islington last month to accompany their first offering in Shoreditch last year. You’ll find it on 149 Upper Street in a Grade II listed building that the owners have beautifully converted to a 60 covers restaurant and bar open 7 days a week serving lunch and dinner. Simple Nordic influenced dishes for you to eat. Rök means ‘smoke’ in Swedish and they draw upon cooking methods that include pickling and brining, mixing these up with British produce. Sounds fantastic right?
Initially launched with a seasonal summer menu (see a sample below) the restaurant will of course include a couple of the must haves from the sister branch over at Shoreditch. However, we’re excited about trying some new dishes such as Mackerel with pickled onions and flamed crispbread or perhaps locally grown Guinea fowl with semi-cured pork belly and butter poached with wild vegetables. Finish off your meal with a delicious desert such as a dark chocolate mousse.
The Nordic inspired kitchen is overseen by Matt Young the executive chef at Rök. With his close eye on the development at both restaurant’s menus it has meant that the brand can focus on selecting the best produce for its diners. Suppliers such as Swaledale foods in Yorkshire and James Murdoch who provides a flock of Guinea fowl exclusively for the restaurants. Now that’s attention to detail we like!
Let’s talk about the drinks, for what is a restaurant without a tipple or two. Fortunately RöK doesn’t appear to disappoint on this either. Specially crafted cocktails from Matt Whiley such as ‘Seasonal Bones’ and ‘Aquavit Sour’ have taken inspiration from the food in the methods of preparation. Smoking and fermentation feature heavily on the way these cocktails are prepared.
So get down to RöK now and get a taster for some serious Nordic inspired cuisine that’ll likely blow your socks off. We might see you there after writing this…
Dishes from their summer menu will include (hurry before winter descends!!!):
• Mackerel with mixed pickled onions and flamed crispbread
• Fennel cured hot smoked sea trout with pickled cucumber, fennel & radish
• Aged Beef rump with creamed cows curd and sorrel vinegar
• Local grown Guinea fowl with semi-cured pork belly & butter poached wild
Salads / sides:
• Preserved heritage tomato salad with fermented barley and tarragon
• Blackened Hispi cabbage with nori seasoned rice and toasted macadamias
• Chilli fermented fennel
• Seaweed sauerkraut
• Wood smoked peach with sour cream, candied almonds and Laphroaig honey
• Dark chocolate mousse with espresso sorbet and malted crumb.
149 Upper Street
t: 020 7686 8024